Wednesday, April 13, 2011


Dear John By Nicholas Sparks “The saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothing to make it last” this quote in the book ‘Dear John’ by Nicholas Sparks admittedly moved me, it made me realize the things that are actually important in life. The book is based on a typical love story involving the two main characters Savannah and John. John was messing with the wrong group of friends in his teenage life and began to drink, smoke and not care about other people’s feelings until Savannah comes along and makes him realize who the person hiding in side of him truly is and commences to think what really matters in life and in fact who he was hurting. Throughout the book there are many struggles with the relationship of savannah and john as john had made a commitment to work in the army and had to travel to many countries for long periods of time. I felt that the title of this book ‘dear john’ was a great title because when john had to do his duty in the army he and savannah wrote letters to each other. I assume the reason why Nicholas sparks chose to title the book ‘dear john’ and not ‘dear savannah’ was because in the book it actually was savannahs idea to write letters to each other, to keep their relationship going. I thought the book was well written, very descriptive, it had a good story line and was down to earth but the only disappointing thing I found was at the end of part 2, it was a bit horrid for me as the book brought so much excitement until it just ended with a sad unexpected part. To me the message in this book is to think the way you act around others, to say to yourself “is this really who I want to be?” and to make sure you make the right choices in life before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment